Am 23.12.2014 um 21:40 schrieb Rich Freeman:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> got my first two demo nodes up and in-sync ... what a success ;-)
>
> I started to look into ceph, and my biggest issue is that they don't
> protect against silent corruption. They do checksum data during
> transit, but not at rest.  That means that you could end up with 3
> different copies of a file and no way to know which one is the right
> one.  Simply storing the data on btrfs isn't enough - that will
> protect against files changing on the disk itself, but you could STILL
> end up with 3 different copies of a file on different nodes and no way
> to know which one is right, if the error happens at a higher level
> than the btrfs filesystem/disk.

but ...  oh my. *sigh*

I assume the devs there have a clever answer to this as well?

At least for the future ... now that btrfs is declared stable at least
for the more trivial setups (read: not RAID5/6) by Chris Mason himself
... btrfs should be usable for ceph-OSDs soon.

In the other direction: what protects against these errors you mention?