On 12/26/2014 07:10 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
> Just curious; is this even possible? `emerge --depclean --ask --verbose
> sys-apps/openrc` gives:
>
>     Calculating dependencies... done!
>         sys-apps/openrc-0.12.4 pulled in by:
>              @system requires sys-apps/openrc
>              net-misc/netifrc-0.2.2 requires >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12
>              virtual/service-manager-0 requires sys-apps/openrc
>
> wat? netifrc is a bunch of udev/networking stuff; I use wicd, is this
> even necessary? FYI, `emerge --depclean --ask --verbose netifrc` gives:
>
>     Calculating dependencies... done!
>         net-misc/netifrc-0.2.2 pulled in by:
>              sys-apps/openrc-0.12.4 requires net-misc/netifrc
>
> I'd rather not have both installed, although it doesn't really matter
> that much. It makes sense that @system requires virtual/service-manager,
> but why on earth does systemd not provide that virtual? I just checked
> the ebuild and eclass to make sure.
>
> Alec

I installed systemd some time ago but I'm keeping openrc around in case
it doesn't boot.

I wonder if it's possible to remove openrc and have systemd only, I've
never tried...

These are just the scripts and support stuff openrc uses for networking,
I myself would keep it around in case the other methods fail.

Dan