On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel <a...@alectenharmsel.com>
wrote:

> On 12/26/2014 11:38 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel <a...@alectenharmsel.com>
wrote:

> > Just curious; is this even possible? `emerge --depclean --ask --verbose
> > sys-apps/openrc` gives:
> >
> >     Calculating dependencies... done!
> >         sys-apps/openrc-0.12.4 pulled in by:
> >              @system requires sys-apps/openrc
> >              net-misc/netifrc-0.2.2 requires >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12
> >              virtual/service-manager-0 requires sys-apps/openrc
> >
> > wat? netifrc is a bunch of udev/networking stuff; I use wicd, is this
> > even necessary? FYI, `emerge --depclean --ask --verbose netifrc` gives:
> >
> >     Calculating dependencies... done!
> >         net-misc/netifrc-0.2.2 pulled in by:
> >              sys-apps/openrc-0.12.4 requires net-misc/netifrc
> >
> > I'd rather not have both installed, although it doesn't really matter
> > that much. It makes sense that @system requires virtual/service-manager,
> > but why on earth does systemd not provide that virtual? I just checked
> > the ebuild and eclass to make sure.
>
> Mmmh. No ebuild in the tree "provides" any virtual. A virtual *specifies*
which packages can satisfy it:

> RDEPEND="
> prefix? ( >=sys-apps/baselayout-prefix-2.2 )
> !prefix? (
> || (
> sys-apps/openrc
> kernel_linux? ( || (
> sys-apps/systemd
> sys-process/runit
> virtual/daemontools
> ) ) ) )"
>

> *facepalm*... I didn't look at this. embarrassing.
>

> This is from virtual/service-manager/service-manager-0.ebuild. As you can
see, with kernel_linux, systemd satisfies the virtual.

> OpenRC is being pulled in by something else, I believe netifrc. Check
what is pulling netifrc, which in turn pulls in OpenRC. I think you should
be able to get rid of it.

> OpenRC is pulled in by @system - even `emerge -ca openrc netifrc` won't
proceed because OpenRC is in @system.

Yeah; you are right, I had to put

-*sys-apps/openrc
-*sys-apps/net-tools

in /etc/portage/profile/packages so portage would stop bothering me about
those two. Sorry, I forgot about that.

> As for kernel_linux, is this something that can go in make.conf (i.e.
KERNEL="linux")?

I think you should not play with that. But that's me.

> It's totally possible to uninstall OpenRC; I haven't had it installed in
years. Nowadays you don't even need to do any tricks to do it.

> I got rid of it (emerge --unmerge, hehe). Some red text warning me of
removing system software, but whatever. Subsequent world updates and
depcleans show no changes except getting rid of sysvinit.

Off with its head.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias