On Sunday 28 December 2014 09:19:22 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> What you can do is make Activities go away and never impinge on your
> life, that's what I do. I've had KDE here for years and like you never
> grokked what it even is when it first hit early in 4.x. I'm a grumpy old
> far, I like my 6 virtual desktops in 2 rows of three, I like to launch
> the apps myself I known I'm going to use now, and I like global session
> management for apps I always use all the time (like Konsole). I don't
> like Activities.
>
> I made them go away and have been using the same KDE config ever since
> quite happily. IIRC all it really took was to remove the icon[1] from
> the panel, and maybe disable some keyboard shortcuts. Activities hasn't
> appeared here for years now, I'd forgotten all about them till this
> thread showed up :-)
>
> Anyway, hope this helps
>
> [1] The icon is the one with three small overlapping circles IIRC

Hmm. I can't see a way to remove that icon - only the whole panel, which
seems like a bad idea. This link shows a painless way to discover what
happens if you do that:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/kde-running-without-plasma-desktop-activities-disabled-848517/

In short, an empty, black desktop. No panel, no way of starting a program
other than by name with KRunner.

I did find some keyboard short-cuts though, under Plasma Desktop Shell in
Global Keyboard Shortcuts, which is under Shortcuts and Gestures in System
Settings. I removed all short-cuts that had Activities in the name.

It seems likely that accidentally hitting one of those short-cuts is the
cause of much of the woe over Activities.

So yes, Alan, you did help by setting me off again, but no you didn't
otherwise :-)

--
Rgds
Peter.