On Monday, January 05, 2015 02:42:46 PM Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the recent update of virtual/opengl forced me to switch from my ati
> [legacy] driver to the open source driver (radeon)
>
> While I got X11 running, my console gets blanked before I can log in
> on the command line.
>
> Which (framebuffer?) kernel parameters have to set?
> It looks like the kernel or init process (openrc) tries to switch to a
> higher resolution (on the text console) when the screen (console) gets
> blanked.
>
> (Loggin in "blindly" and invoking startx, I get a running X-server).
>
> Many thanks for some pointers,
> Helmut

I'm not sure what is the problem there, I have amd/ati 4350 with free driver
on my system, works fine with X or tty. I don't know how you configured your
system, but you can always check gentoo_wiki/radeon [1], most modern amd/ati
cards need non-free firmware to work properly, even for some "more basic"
stuff,
not only 3d (I think KMS needs non-free firmware too).

[1] - http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon