Am Donnerstag 22 Januar 2015, 16:50:45 schrieb Sam Bishop:
> On 22 January 2015 at 01:54, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfri...@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 21 Januar 2015, 20:36:55 schrieb Sam Bishop:
> >> So I've been thinking crazy thoughts.
> >>
> >> Theoretically it can't be that hard to do a complete package binhost for
> >> gentoo.
> >>
> >> To be clear, when i say complete, Im referring to building, all
> >> versions of all ebuilds marked stable or unstable on amd64, with every
> >> combination of use flags.
> >
> > Not enough. You will also have to build against every combination of
> > dependency subslots.
> >
> > e.g., different poppler, boost, icu, perl and many more versions...
> >
> > Which makes the task near impossible.
>
> Not impossible, just more computationally demanding and requiring more
> storage.

Well, exponential increase is exponential increase.

* A libreoffice binary package with debug information has roughly 800Mbyte
size
* 2 libreoffice versions in the tree
* libreoffice links against poppler, icu, boost (among other things)
* poppler: 5 subslots, icu (soon) 3 subslots, boost 5 subslots in tree -> 75
combinations
* libreoffice has 22 useflags and 4 extensions, plus three supported python
variants -> 29 switches
* REQUIRED_USE limits your combinations, let's conservatively guess 25
independent switches -> 2^25=33554432 use combinations

Which ends up with roughly 2 Exabyte (10^9 GByte) of storage for all packages.

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer