Nils Holland wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:29:53AM -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> Well, I have dd'd the thing a few times and ran the tests again, it
>> still gives errors.  What's odd, they seem to move around.  Is there a
>> bug crawling around in my drive??  lol
>>
>> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       40%
>> 21500         4032048552
>>
>> #12  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       40%
>> 21406         4032272464
> Well, the location of the first unreadable error is before the
> location of the second one, so it's entirely possible that the drive
> was eventually able to read the first bad sector and subsequently
> remapped it to a sparse sector. Of, depending on what other actions
> may have been done to the drive between the two tests shown, a write
> may have been done to the sector, which would also result immediately
> in a sparse sector being taken if the original sector looks
> "suspicious" to the drive.
>
> All of that should - at least a little bit of it - be visible by
> looking at the other smart statictics. The reallocated sector count
> would have gone up in such a case, and the number of currently pending
> sectors could have gone down. Still, even though the first bad sector
> might have been appropriately dealt with, there's obviously more wrong
> with the drive, as the second test shows.
>
> Personally, with the relatively low hard disk prices of recent years,
> I've always started distrusting drives as soon as they began showing
> bad / remapped sectors and failing self-tests, even though they still
> reported their own SMART status as fine. More times than not, just
> completely zeroing out a drive will fix the then-known bad sectors, as
> it triggers the drive's firmware to remap them, but in my experience a
> drive that started developing a few bad sectors will soon develop more
> of the same. So at least in environments dealing with important data,
> I'd quickly exchange such a drive and probably only continue to use it
> for less important stuff, like transferring data from one machine to
> another, where the failure of the transpoting drive would be harmless,
> as the data could at any time be gotten again from the original
> machine carrying it.
>
> Greetings,
> Nils

This drive did report issues a while back, year or so I guess, and I got
them corrected by dd'ing the drive etc.  Anyway, I bought a new drive to
replace it but have been using the one here as a backup drive mostly to
test and just see what it would do long term.  Well, it did last a while
at least but as you rightly point out, it started having more issues.
At least in this case, once the drive reported errors, it went downhill
from there.  I was sort of hoping it would work fine like one would
expect but I'm not surprised that it is failing again.  One thing I have
learned about drives over the years, if it ever gets a error, you better
replace it, just to be safe if nothing else.

Since I already replaced this drive, nothing lost.  We did learn
something tho.  Just because it claims to have fixed itself doesn't mean
it will be a long term solution.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)