Yesterday I installed 4GB more of RAM in this machine for a total of 8GB, and
the machine soon began random segfaulting and even a kernel crash or two, so
obviously I suspected the new RAM was faulty.

I let memtest86+ run overnight and it found zero memory errors. Today I
exchanged the new RAM anyway and got a different brand this time, and
that fixed the problem.

My question is why didn't memtest86+ find any errors?  Could it be that the
first RAM I bought was actually okay but this machine didn't like it for some
reason?  Both were DDR3/1333MHz, just from different manufacturers.