capsel schreef:
> I've found that I changed configuration of my kernel - cdrom driver
> is loaded as module and must be loaded on boot (before
> hotplug/coldplug ?) for hdc to be created. Somehow parport_pc is
> loaded automaticly.
>
> What can I do to force hotplug/coldplug to load ide-cd and so to
> force udev to create hdc? I added ide-cd to
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.

Well, that should work, but the 'better' way is simply to recompile the
kernel so that ide-cd is statically compiled (* or Y, rather than M),
and then it would be automatically loaded by the kernel when the device
is discovered (which would also tell you if you have a hardware issue,
because the device wasn't discovered during the normal hardware scan the
kernel makes at boot).

What runlevel is hotplug set to run in (rc-update show)? If boot, then
the problem with having the module in /etc/modules.autoload.d is that
the service (hotplug) is running before the module load, whereas if
hotplug is set to run at 'default', it runs *after* the modules in
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 are loaded, or at least that is my
experience.

But since you aren't likely to be hotplugging your CD device anyway
(unless this is a laptop with an external drive), it just makes more
sense to compile the driver (Device Drivers=> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
support=> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support) statically (which I thought
was the default kernel config setting anyway) and just let coldplug
handle it.

HTH,
Holly