I have two machines.  My production machine is named m3000 and the
backup is m450.  The numbers refer to the machines' cpu speeds in mhz.
I keep both machines updated, so that m450 (a 6-year-old Dell PIII) can
be pressed into service immediately if the main machine dies.  This
means that I end up duplicating downloads for emerges.  I'm trying to
cut down on the download duplication, and make things a bit easier of
Gentoo mirrors.

  I update m3000 first and then m450.  Any necessary tarballs/checksums
will end up in m3000's /usr/portage/distfiles directory.  I've already
got ssh via key authorization going between the two machines, so they
can back up each other.  I turn on m450 once a week to emerge --sync and
update it.  I'd like the first mirror choice to be scp or sftp from m3000
(or 192.168.123.252 if that's easier).  Can it be done, and if so, what
is the syntax?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca