On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:10:46 -0700, Joseph wrote:

> >Portage is excessively verbose in it's output. With -v it dumps all
> >sorts of info to the console and it's incredibly hard to read.
> >
> >It especially likes to print the full reasoning why it doesn't upgrade
> >some package to latest due to a dependency requirement, and it's this
> >that usually hides actual real problems in amongst all the noise.
> >
> >The level of verbosity from portage over the past year really should
> >only be shown with -vvv

> Thank for the hint, never thought about it. I'll try next time "emerge
> -uDNavvvq world

Alan was saying that portage is already very verbose, you are better off
running with no -v options. That way you only see true errors and serious
warnings and not all the irrelevant stuff that just gets in the way.

> Yes, it was very hard to read and duped information
> into the screen that wasn't relevant.

Exactly, cut down on the irrelevant information by not using -v.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sisko:"I won't be condescending to you this episode, Dr. Bashir."