On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,

Hi.

> In one of my earlier posts I mentioned I wasn't having any issues with
> systemd. Well, I guess I lied, although I didn't know about it at the
time.

> My laptop works fine, no issues.
>
> My desktop, however, has an issue, but only while rebooting. I use mdadm
> to access my IMSM raid, and during the reboot process, the last message
> I see is (from memory, so it's not exact):
>
> "Stopping mdmon..."
>
> And it hangs there.
>
> The journal shows this:
> =====
> -- Reboot --
> Mar 18 20:48:42 osoikaze systemd-journal[485]: Journal stopped
> Mar 18 20:48:42 osoikaze systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to
> remaining processes...
> Mar 18 20:48:41 osoikaze systemd[1]: Shutting down.
>
> =====
>
> mdmon is normally stopped right at the end, so it should be a part of
> 'Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes'. The Journal stops, then from
> what I gather, it hangs on the next one, which is mdmon. I have left it
> for a half an hour and it doesn't do anything.
>
> When rebooting:
>
> =====
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md/raid10:md126: active with 4 out of 4
> devices
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md/raid10:md126: not clean -- starting
> background reconstruction
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdi>
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdh>
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdg>
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdf>
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdi>
> Mar 18 20:49:39 osoikaze kernel: md: bind<sdg>
> =====
>
> Indicating that mdmon was not stopped properly. (The array starts a
> rebuild.) Checking /proc/mdstat confirms this.
>
> Now this is the odd thing: `systemctl poweroff` works fine! It shuts
> everything down, and turns my workstation off without corrupting the
> RAID array!
>
> So why does `systemctl reboot` not want to work? I'm a little confused.

What kind of initramfs are you using?  Supposedly, the only difference
between poweroff and reboot is that the former turns off the machine and
reboot does a reset. In either case, systemd pivots back to the initramfs
before umounting everything, so perhaps there lies the problem.

> I also noticed this in the USE flags for systemd:
> - - sysv-utils                     : Install sysvinit compatibility
> symlinks and manpages for init, telinit, halt, poweroff, reboot,
> runlevel, and shutdown
>
> Should I enable that USE flag?

No. In Gentoo in particular the SysV compatibility is completely useless.

> (By the way, KDE shows the same behaviour. If I shutdown with the K
> Menu, it works. Reboot from the K Menu hangs.)

KDE (as GNOME, Xfce, and everything else) uses logind, so it's equivalent
to do "systemctl poweroff" or click "Power Off" in your DE.

I would bet on the initramfs.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias