On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Róbert Čerňanský <ope...@tightmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:31:15 +0100
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> > OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE
>> > this and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?
>> >
>> > Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?
>>
>> Because this is Gentoo and you are in charge of portage, not the other
>> way around. Portage goes as far as it can without trampling over your
>> choices by saying "these are the changes I need you to make, press Y
>> to accept them". It's not like you have to add one atom to package.use
>> manually, run emerge again, add another etc.
>
> With --pretend and --ask options you would still be in charge.  Execute
> 'emerge -pv foo', if you do not like the changes then tweak USE
> settings in package.use.  I would not feel any less in control if I
> could see changes that portage wants to do and could force my USE
> settings in package.use.

Honestly, I tend to agree with this approach.

Imagine if when you typed "emerge kde-meta" the emerge program told
you that you need to add the following 400 lines to your package
installation list.  Then we create a install-list-cleanup program that
looks at your world file and determines what stuff you have in your
package installation list that aren't needed any longer.

When it comes to what packages are installed the design is to have the
user stick the stuff they really care about in the world file and let
the PM figure out how to make it happen.  You can override masks in
config files, but the general intent is that you don't have to do this
most of the time.  Why not make USE flags work the same way?

Why can't emerge steam figure out that half the system needs to be
rebuilt with 32-bit support, and then later emerge --depclean steam
figures out that half the system can be rebuilt without 32-bit
support?  You could still specify global or package.use settings when
you have specific preferences, of course.  However, you wouldn't have
to do that just to satisfy dependencies unless there is a blocker that
portage can't figure out itself.  That is also analogous to what
happens when virtuals today - sometimes you have to manually
uninstall/install something to get portage past a block, and maybe
that will be needed with USE flags too.

I think we've just gotten into a mode where we automate user
configuration instead of eliminating the need for it.

--
Rich