On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Sebastian Beßler
<sebast...@darkmetatron.de> wrote:
> On 01.04.2015 19:28, Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
>
>> Big advantage of automatic deps over --autounmask is that auto deps
>> would not mess with user configuration files in /etc.  Changed USE
>> flags would be stored internally by portage.
>
> Ok, but then you need a database (another file in /etc/portage/) for all of
> the active use flags that are set by the installed packages. That or every
> emerge has to scan and parse every ebuild of all installed packages, adding
> a high delay.

This is what portage already has to do with the list of installed
packages.  Doing it for installed USE flags is just more of the same.
I suspect that portage has to do this anyway just to make sure that
the current config is still valid, or to see if --newuse should cause
a change, and so on.

--
Rich