On Sunday 17 May 2015 19:49:30 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:16:16 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
> > > and if I begin typing, the existing text is deleted and what I'm
> > > typing becomes the contents. On the Linux version, under KDE, it
> > > doesn't. I have to click into the appropriate edit box, highlight
> > > the contents and start typing or hit either home/end and then start
> > > deleting before typing my new URL.  If, for example, the existing
> > > text happens to be a google search string, this can be quite a bit
> > > of text to delete.
> > >
> > >   So my question, I suppose, is multipart:
> > > 1) Is this by design? Is this the normal behaviour?
> >
> > Yes.  That's how text widgets always work on Unix.
>
> Unfortunately not :(
>
> Chromium now selects the whole URL when you click in the address bar. I'm
> not sure when it started doing this but it was quite recently.

This is not a problem at all, because this address bar auto-highlighting in
Chromium does not take over the system clipboard.  When I click once it
selects the whole address and I can delete it, before I middle click to insert
whatever was in the clipboard.

As has already been commented, this won't work with FF, which replaces the
clipboard when I necessarily double click to select the content of the address
bar.

--
Regards,
Mick