On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:57:34 +0300, gevisz wrote:

> Nothing crashed so far and this, in my view, proves that should not
> be an obligatory dependency for any package in my wold file.

That only shows that you have not used any function that requires
gettext, not that none use it.

> >  You can use "emerge --depclean -pv gettext" to determine which do.
>
> $ emerge --depclean -pv gettext
> --- Couldn't find 'gettext' to depclean.

It needs to be installed, now that your update has pulled it back in try
depclean again.

> However, running
> # equery depends gettext
> before forcefully unmerging the gettext package,
> I got the following response:

equery depends always used to be unreliable when it came to USE
controlled dependencies. emerge --depclean gives the authoritative answer
and it considers the portage tree, USE flags and dependencies at the
time it is run.

> app-editors/gvim-7.4.273 (nls ? sys-devel/gettext)
>                              %%% Even gvim! And it definitely does not
> crash without gettext

% grep gettext /var/portage/app-editors/gvim/gvim-7.4.712.ebuild
        nls? ( sys-devel/gettext )

Yes, equery is still getting it wrong, gvim only depends on gettext when
built with USE=nls.

> > So it seems to me that gettext is a false lead and that the root
> > of your problem lies somewhere else.
>
> May be, but as I have already written it, I cannot think of a better
> explanation why started in a default profile Firefox uses non-English
> menu, but started in a new profile, it uses the English menu for the
> same youtube video on the same web-page.

Because there is a language setting in your current profile. If this were
a system default, the new profile would exhibit the same behaviour. If
Firefox is the only program that is misbehaving, and then only with an
existing profile, I would not look further afield for blame.

--
Neil Bothwick

Puns are bad, but poetry is verse...