On Sunday 31 May 2015 01:39:34 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 30 May 2015 16:43:13 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 May 2015 12:49:51 Mick wrote:
> > > On my laptop which has stayed on Kmail-1 I have this:
> > --->8
> >
> > > Have a look here for more details and warnings:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
> >
> > Many thanks Mick - that's very helpful.
> >
> > > I expect that sooner or later bitrot will catch up with Kmail-1 and it
> > > will
> > > stop working.  I dread for this happening, but I will not move to
> > > Kmail-2 until then.
> >
> > I don't blame you, and I wish I hadn't either. I'll see if it's possible
> > to go back.
>
> Well, it did look promising right up to the last gasp. I put those
> package.mask entries in, and I found I needed a couple of package.use
> entries as well, and then everything went suspiciously well. Portage
> downgraded several packages and recompiled several others, and I was ready
> to go.
>
> At this point I must put in a word of commendation for portage: it handled
> this major regression with aplomb throughout. That is one professional
> program.
>
> I created a new user (this is now really tedious), started KMail-1 and
> imported 14000-odd messages from the old KMail-2 - and in a fraction of the
> time that KMail-2 takes for the same task. Great! I thought. Then I found
> there was no inbox to copy its e-mails into, and I couldn't copy the folder
> because one existed already - I just couldn't see it. I think I remember it
> disappearing once or twice before in the days of KMail-1. Anyway, I
> couldn't see a way forward so I've reverted to the original KMail-2 pro
> tem.
>
> Maybe I'll have another go if I remember the way out of having no inbox.
> Anyway, thanks Mick for steering me the way I wanted to go.

You're welcome.

You could look into ~/Mail/ or wherever you keep your mails and find the Inbox
directory.  Then copy any messages you want shown there manually.  The index
will be recreated when you restart Kmail, or if you click on 'Recreate Index'
under the Properties/Maintenance of the folder.

Also, under Settings/Configure Kmail/Misc there is a field to specify which
folder to open on start up.

Some combination of the above should work.

Please note there is a known bug which has come about due to bitrot:  All sent
messages are placed in the local Sent-Mail folder.  I have to manually drag
and drop them in the respective email account sent folders from which they
were sent.

--
Regards,
Mick