James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Pod leaves me with too many choices. Can you narrow it down?

pod (and pod2*) is part of perl. Very likely it is already installed.
man perlpod (or "perldoc pod::perlpod" if the former does not work
on your system).

> eix latex returns too many choices. What is the best one(s) to install
> to play iwth latex again?

Nowadays there is practically only texlive - everything else
are just various tools for it: emerge texlive
(which has enormous dependencies - be sure to
set in the USE-Flags what you really need)

> Why is this better can just using libreoffice
> once the files are in man page format?

I meant to write it in latex *instead* of man page format
if your main aim is a really professional print. All
general-purpose conversions from one format to another
loose something, in general. If your manpage is simple
enough, it probably does not matter, but the more complex
things you need (enumerations within enumerations, perhaps
with intermediate texts, footmarks - perhaps footmarks
within footmarks - perhaps even semi-graphical elements like
braces under texts, etc. pp) the less likely is that you
find a format which serves all your needs.
Funny: I just realize that there is a pod2latex converter
in the tree. However, keep in mind that pod is *very* poor
compared to latex...