My new (dell E7450) laptop will be a slimline with no internal optical
drive.  So I want to purchase an external optical drive.  My first
thought was to get a drive that is both
   a blue ray READER and
   a dvd writer

I naively thought that USB is USB so any such drive would work.
However googling (especially linux sites) shows pages devoted to DRM
issues.  Although I do not intend to rip or write a blu-ray, the
number of pages devoted to DRM seem to indicate more pain than gain for
the few times I might read a blu ray.

An alternative is to buy from dell a dvd-only drive they say works with
ubuntu (an OS distribution they support).  I don't believe dell sells
blu ray drives.

Opinions?

thanks,
allan