On 27/06/2015 23:34, walt wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 18:18:45 -0400
> gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
>
>> My new (dell E7450) laptop will be a slimline with no internal optical
>> drive.  So I want to purchase an external optical drive.  My first
>> thought was to get a drive that is both
>>    a blue ray READER and
>>    a dvd writer
>>
>> I naively thought that USB is USB so any such drive would work.
>> However googling (especially linux sites) shows pages devoted to DRM
>> issues.  Although I do not intend to rip or write a blu-ray, the
>> number of pages devoted to DRM seem to indicate more pain than gain
>> for the few times I might read a blu ray.
>
> I have zero experience with blu-ray, so obviously I'm compelled to have
> an opinion instead :)
>
> Blu-ray feels to me like a technology that was obsolete when it hit the
> market as a consumer product.  I remember being hot to buy the hardware
> when it was introduced, but it was way too expensive back then.
>
> By the time the price became reasonable, I realized that I wasn't using
> even the dvd burners I already owned because disk space was so cheap I
> was archiving to disk (redundantly, of course) instead of to dvd.
>
> One use-case I've never needed, though, is to burn 25 gigs of stuff so
> I can hand it or snail-mail it to someone instead of sending it over the
> internet.  I just don't need it.
>
> I can imagine being required to use blu-ray by an employer or customer,
> though.

My experience is similr to yours

I have a blu-ray reader, plugged into my Kodi machine. It's never had a
BR disk in it, instead, it plays CDs!

On the very few times I've needed to do something with that many gigs of
data, I've used a memory stick instead with the benefit they don't need
optical hardware. I'd have to do this quite a few times to offset the
cost of the hardware.

I've also concluded that apart from movie studios and maybe niche
markets, BR was dead when it hit the street

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com