On Wednesday 08 Jul 2015 08:56:46 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday 06 July 2015 19:16:59 Mick wrote:
> > Peter, I'm going from memory here, but I recovered from a kmail2 problem
> > by clearing the akonadi cache and thereby forcing a reindexing.  I
> > recall opening the akonadi console from the tool tray and this offered
> > me a GUI, which listed the various KDEPIM resources.  I right clicked on
> > the corrupted folder and selected to clear the cache; in my case it
> > would not list any messages and was hanging when trying to sync with the
> > mail server.
> >
> >  This fixed it.
> >
> > Are you looking at the same place?
>
> I finally found it. The Browser tab shows a list of "collections" in the
> top left pane. Right-clicking on an e-mail folder there offers "Clear
> akonadi cache". I did that, waited a few seconds for disk activity to stop
> and then took the Synchronise option. That took a long time - I don't know
> how long as I had to go out and leave it to itself.
>
> Repeating the procedure for each of my dodgy folders appears to have tidied
> up the worst of the mess, though I still get duplicates. At least now they
> aren't phantoms.
>
> Thanks for your perseverance, Mick.

You are welcome, but I am saddened to read that the problem (duplicate emails
when using POP3) is *still* not resolved.  I don't know what is causing it,
but suspect that it is something to do with the UIDL command causing some hash
malfunction on the Kmail2 POP3 client. I am guessing (wildly and with no
evidence) that akonadi's (re)indexing is not managing the message ID reliably,
potentially barfing on the message hash, recreating a duplicate.  Either way,
applications like this give MSOutlook with its reliably self-corrupting .pst
files a good name.

I would thing that this is a relatively straight forward transaction to
troubleshoot, but devs may not be using POP3 on Kmail2, or if the glacial
progress of KDEPIM is anything to go by, then I seriously suspect they are NOT
really using ... Kmail2!  :-p

--
Regards,
Mick