On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 05:34:53 +0200
meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in order to connect my ASUS Memp Pad 7 ME176CX to the internet I need
> a working WLAN (my DSL router/modem is of the copper area - no
> Wifi/WLAN). The hardware (an USB dongle) is already there...it needs
> "only" be configured and setup.
>
> The problem I (possibly needless) see is: While I am tinkering and
> testing the configuration I may setup an open Wifi access point
> without noticing it in first glance and
> BANG! get hacked ... in the worst case: unrecognized...

I heard this on a podcast about security from someone (Steve Gibson)
who knows a lot about the subject.  He suggested using all those old
home routers (you have sitting around collecting dust) in a new way.

Apparently we can't trust any individual black-box home router to be
secure any more, but maybe we can combine them to make hackers work
harder:

The idea is to chain all those home routers in series (instead of using
them as the manufacturers intended) and then, as the last step, to plug
your (new) wireless router into the end of the chain of old routers.

I have no idea if this idea is good or bad, I'm just passing it along.