On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:18:44 -0700
walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect most people don't even know firefox has a ProfileManager,
> but I'm here to warn you not to use it.  It just cost me years of
> bookmarks and saved passwords.
>
> For testing purposes I invoked firefox-bin with the -ProfileManager
> flag (don't do this, it's broken!) and created a fresh firefox profile
> with the name "temp" as I've been doing for years.
>
> I ran the "temp" profile while doing my testing, quit firefox and then
> re-invoked firefox with the -ProfileManager flag and used it to delete
> the "temp" profile because I didn't need it any more.
>
> Unfortunately, deleting "temp" also deleted the "default" profile I've
> been using for years, which had all of my bookmarks and saved
> passwords and maybe other stuff I haven't even thought about yet.

I'm sorry you had this trouble, and I can't explain it.

I've used the profile manager to delete temporary profiles at least once
a twice a week for the past many years without problems.  I compile
firefox instead of using firefox-bin, but that shouldn't make any
difference.

I guess you've already looked, but just in case, make sure the
default profile directory is really gone.  If you're very lucky, only
the profile.ini file got corrupted.