On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:58:06 -0400
Dave Nebinger wrote:

> >> We've had two misleading posts on this subject, which basically only
> >> offer a guess to a question that is very easily answered!
> >
> > So I made a gross overlook, but why can't you be civil about it?
>
> Sorry, Willy, but for as long as Nick has been posting I would just assume
> he was having a bad moment and not take it so personally.
>
> But Nick, my original position was the assumption that the USE flags
> controlled the builds and enabled/disabled features as indicated.
>
> Up to this point I haven't read a single ebuild, and I wouldn't have thought
> of going there to check pine's maildir compatibility, so I'm glad you
> pointed that out.
>
> That being said, I've got enough on my plate already; how often is it that
> we should be reading ebuilds to find relevant clues to how a package is
> going to work when installed?

Look I apologise for being intemperate, lets move on.

But lets also remember  to be accurate in our posts. I think there is a
good deal of "guess the answer" going on on this list, this isn't
pointed at anyone in particular.

So to be positive about it heres how i found the answer:

1. looked to see if there were mbox or maildir USE flags that affected
the build of pine - answer NO
2. google "pine maildir" and discover that there are patches in
circulation - answer YES
3. grep the pine ebuild for the lines with epatch and see that none seem
to have any obvious connection with the term "maildir" - answer NO
4. grep the ebuild for the term "maildir' and find what i posted.

I never used to read many ebuilds, now I find its a useful step,
particularly to see what effect USE flags have, what changes gentoo
makes to the build, and what configuartion files of its own gentoo uses.

I'm not intending this email to challenge your methodology for
troubleshooting, just to point out that:

a. accurate postings will raise the signal to noise ratio significantly
b. reading the ebuild is a worthwhile troubleshooting step.

Cheers, Nick