Neil Bothwick wrote:
Unfortunately, quite a lot seem to do it. it's a lazy and lame "solution"
to spam trojans. Other ISPs forward all port 25 connections to their own
SMTP server, so your mail may not be delivered directly, but it is
delivered.

Even if port 25 isn't blocked or redirected, it is often worth using your
ISP's relay even if you have a broadband connection. Some ISP's block
incoming mail from IP ranges allocated to broadband users as an anti-spam
measure.

I worked at probably the first nation wide US ISP to block port 25 to any address other than our mail servers. While it was sad to see the days of free and clear access to smtp dying there really wasn't much choice. Blocking outbound port 25 access did a fine job of stopping virus email that uses it's own stmp and spam hosts. While annoying to some users I don't think it's something you can really get around these days. Especially if you'd like to keep your IP space off trigger happy blacklists.

However the above when implemented with port 25 inbound blocking sucks. We never did that. And I've seen ISP's require their domain in the From: line which breaks anyone's attempt at sending using their personal domain. We didn't do retarded things like that either.

kashani