Le 2015-08-16 21:43, walt a écrit :
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 19:27:41 -0400
Michel Catudal <mcatu...@comcast.net> wrote:

But yes, kernel 3.18.19 still has my same keyboard halting problem,
so I'm back to 3.14.50 until the ati-drivers package is patched.
I'm sure gentoo-sources-3.18.20 will be available almost
immediately and I'm not going through that hell again.

I am running Kernel 4.0.5 with no problem with the keyboards.
Okay, thanks, that's good to know.

I'm aware that I'm mixing posts about video drivers in the same thread
(that I started) about keyboard problems, but that's no accident:  both
topics involve kernel device drivers *and* differences between kernel
versions.  I think the two apparently different problems are related.

<snipped for brevity>

Someone seemed to have backport the debian bug
into it as my logitech keyboard didn't work.
Yes, I wonder if some of the problems I'm having are caused by the
patches to gentoo-sources and/or ati-drivers that were committed by our
gentoo devs, or are my problems coming from upstream?  I have no idea.

A patch for bugs should be checked so it doesn't create other bugs. When they
tried to fix a problem with some keyboards they destroyed the support for
Logitech keyboards.
I have several remote keyboards and I find them to be the ones that works the
best.

This may not be the only part that is problematic right now in the latest
updates in Gentoo.
Handbrake for instance no longer works. To get it to work I had to install the
latest x264 (not the latest one from gentoo which doesn't work either)
In the process I also upgraded Handbrake to 0.10.2 which works on ArchLinux, I
think that x264 might probably have been good enough. The 9999 version didn't
even compile, likely due to some gentoo patches.

After I enabled the HID
special support for Logitech, both mouse and keyboard now work
perfectly.
Heh.  I just ordered a replacement Logitech USB keyboard from
amazon.com.  I picked the Logitech because it was from a company
(Logitech) whose name I recognize, as opposed to the other keyboards
that amazon offers under its own brand.

If my new Logitech keyboard fails to work correctly I will try enabling
the special HID support in whatever kernel(s) I'm using at the moment.
(Three days from now...who knows?)

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal