Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 26/08/2015 00:13, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Not doing too well with google on this...
>>
>> Can anyong direct me to a database for gentoo where one can find
>> out which tools/files go with which pkg.
>>

> As far as I know, there's no such thing. On Ubuntu when you install
> firefox, you get an exact list of files that is the same for everyone.
> On Gentoo when you install firefox, the list of files you get depends on
> USE and whether the dev did any tweaks to the ebuild today.
>
> There's been some efforts at making such a database, for example
> http://www.portagefilelist.de
> but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Maybe another project has picked
> up the ball but I don't know of any.
>
> This is not such a big problem as it might appear. If you are familiar
> with the Gentoo base system it's usually obvious what package will give
> you the file. The exception is basic utilities like cut and head and
> tail. They are not tin their own package but in a big utility one, maybe
> it's coreutils maybe it's util-linux. I avoid the problem by always
> installing both :-)
>
> Fo9r the rare case where you really can't figure it out, you can always
> ask here for someone with the file to equery it and find where it came from.

I use that site, I also run the program that uploads that info, but I to
find it not always helpful.  For Gentoo, there is just to much that can
change from one system to another based on settings/configs.  I'm not
aware of anyone else trying to do this.  Sadly.

On those occasions where someone asks what belongs to something, I
always do a search here and if I have the info, I reply with it.  It's
likely about the easiest help a person can provide.

Dale

:-)  :-)