Hello, Walter.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:12:57PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 07:28:41PM -0400, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 07:20:37PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > >   I've just switched from cdparanoia to cdda2wav, to get track
> > > names/artists.  As a regular user, I ran...
> > >
> > > cdda2wav -vall dev=1,0,0 cddb=0 -paranoia -B
> > >
> > >   I got a bunch of complaints about insufficient read and write
> > > privileges, but it seems to work OK.  I ran the same command as root,
> > > and no error messages.
> >
> > What exactly are the error messages? Most likely you just need to be
> > added to the group that has access to CD drives or something like that.

>   I am a member of groups "cdrom" and "cdrw".  Here are the messages...

> [d531][waltdnes][~/music/glenn_miller_2a] cdda2wav -vall dev=1,0,0 cddb=0
> -paranoia -B
> cdda2wav: Insufficient 'file read' privileges. You will not be able to open
> all needed devices.
> cdda2wav: Insufficient 'file write' privileges. You will not be able to open
> all needed devices.
> cdda2wav: Insufficient 'device' privileges. You may not be able to send all
> needed SCSI commands, this my cause various unexplainable problems.
> cdda2wav: Insufficient 'priocntl' privileges. You may get jitter.
> cdda2wav: Insufficient 'network' privileges. You will not be able to do
> remote SCSI.
> Type: ROM, Vendor 'TSSTcorp' Model 'CDRWDVD TS-H493B' Revision 'D200' MMC+CDDA
> 569344 bytes buffer memory requested, transfer size 131072 bytes, 4 buffers,
> 55 sectors
> #Cdda2wav version
> 3.01a16_linux_4.0.5-gentoo_x86_64_intel-r--core-tm-2-duo-cpu-e4600-@-2.40ghz,
> real time sched., soundcard, libparanoia support
> AUDIOtrack pre-emphasis  copy-permitted tracktype channels

Don't we just love software that gives half-error messages?  Just how
difficult would it have been for the author to have identified just what
files and devices you couldn't access?

Is your user a member of the audio group?  I do CD ripping sometimes, and
the three groups acm is a member of which seem relevant are audio, cdrom,
and cdrw.

Running ripping as root isn't ideal.

[ .... ]

--