On Saturday, September 05, 2015 1:05:06 AM lee wrote:
> Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.develo...@outlook.com> writes:

> > security

> > window
> > by

> > seamonkey
> > have
> > you do
> > it

> >> It doesn't work.  I've imported the certificate now at home, and no
> >> matter what trust I set or whatever I do, I cannot connect, and I cannot
> >> add an exception.
> >
> > Did you tried under both "My Certificates"
>
> There's no tab labled "My Certifiactes".  There's "Your Certificates"
> (which would be "mine", I guess), described as ones from organizations
> that describe me (of which there are none but myself, if it comes to
> that).
>
> When I try to import the certificate I obtained with openssl as above on
> that tab, it says that the certificate cannot be installed because I "do
> not own the private key which was created when the certificate was
> requested" --- whatever that means.
>
> > and "Authorities" tags (or whatever
> > they're called on your version. For the Authorities/RootCA one you'll want
> > install your CA public cert that *should* allow all certificates that you
issue
> > to work.
>
> I can import it there and it makes no difference.  With the certificate
> installed under "Authorities", I'm still being asked to add an exception
> when I try to connect, and the buttons to add an exception are still
> disabled.
>
> > Under "My Certificates" you want the site certificate.
>
> I don't understand: What is a site certificate?  I don't have any other
> than I can download with openssl as described above.  The usual
> procedure is to add an exception through the dialog that pops up for
> that purpose, and that's all there is to it.  The problem is that it
> doesn't let me add an exception.
>
> Generally, an organization which provides email services to me is hardly
> an organization that would manufacture a certificate that describes me
> specifically in order to provide the service.  (I'm trying to connect to
> the IMAP server via SSL/TLS on port 993.)
>
> In this case, I happen to have full physical access to the server and
> thus to the certificate stored on it.  This is not the case for, let's
> say, an employee checking his work-email from home whom I might give the
> login-data on the phone and instruct to add an exception when the dialog
> to do so pops up when they are trying to connect.
>
> When I connect to that same IMAP server with "mutt -f
> imaps://example.com', mutt asks me whether I want to reject the
> certificate or accept it once or always.  So I say once or always and
> can log in.  It's as simple as that, no site certificate or anything but
> my username and password are needed.
>
> What is the problem with seamonkey and its relatives?

> [...]

It is the servers tab, sorry. But I just tried and it still requires an
exception.

Adding the CA certificate and ticking all trust options does work but it seems
not all self-signed certs have one. If when you run openssl s_client -connect
host:443 -showcerts it list more than one cert then you want to import the
last under authorities.

You can try backing up and deleting your profile directory, if it works with a
new one either go through all the ssl about:config settings and compare them or
just start over with new settings and import bookmarks, etc. If you both have
the same version then it must not be a change or bug.

--
Fernando Rodriguez