On Wednesday 09 Sep 2015 09:28:54 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 September 2015 19:42:08 Mick wrote:
>
> --->8
>
> > So, the Linux renedering seems to be misleading the user.  Have you
> > noticed the same?
> >
> > BTW, both Linux machines that I tried this on are running radeon drivers
> > - are these to blame?  The AppleMac is running Intel graphics with its
> > 'retina' monitor.  Is it a matter of somehow tuning the Xorg settings on
> > my Linux PCs?
>
> Have you calibrated your monitors? That seems to be the first thing to do.
> I bought a device six months ago and it's transformed my viewing
> experience:
>
>       http://www.hughski.com/
>
> (Usual disclaimer.)

The desktop has two monitors, of different ages and quality.  However, the
difference between images I'm referring to in this thread, is visible on the
*same* monitor when using MSWindows (either natively or within a VM), but much
less so on Linux.  I've tried to make the two monitors' colours look similar,
but the old Dell monitor has a lot more red in it which I can't take out using
the hardware adjustments.

I have been thinking to buy one of these little measuring devices and now may
be a good time.

Would you mind explaining how it works?  You measure the icc of a monitor -
what do you do with this then?  Do you need to be running something like
colord all the time to feed some correction data to xranrd?

--
Regards,
Mick