On Saturday 26 September 2015 16:11:04 Mick wrote:

> Thank you all for your answers.  They guided me to do some reading in this
> field, which is quite a science all on its own!

--->8

> Peter's description does not mention which application loads the .icc file
> that the hughski creates, but I'm guessing there must be something that does
> read it, if the monitor settings are indeed altered.

As far as I remember, it's the colorhug's own program that sets the monitor at
the end of its calibration process. After that, the monitor has kept those
settings and hasn't needed any further tweaking.

I do have the two .icc files in .local/share/icc:

$ ls -l .local/share/icc
total 28K
-rw-r--r-- 1 prh prh 1.2K Sep  9 16:51 edid-fbec4f9c1804ea718b6e1b585fc234ad.icc
-rw-rw-r-- 1 prh prh  21K Sep 10 10:41 GCM - Samsung - SMS27A350H - unknown
(2015-09-10) [04-58-44].icc

/usr/bin/file shows them both as "ColorSync ICC Profile". I don't know why there
are two, nor why they have such different sizes.

Maybe I'm mistaken and KDE is reading what it needs at startup from those
Files. I'll try moving them and see what happens.

> With the monitors sorted as best as I could adjust them manually I loaded
> the icc files with Kolor-manager.  I could not see any change in the colors
> displayed by the monitors.  They are both wide gamut monitors, so perhaps
> the RGB changes were within the narrower RGB spectrum and that's why I did
> not notice a difference - not to mention that my eyes are not they used to
> be. :p
>
> Having done all this, I revisited ImageMagick.  I ran identify -verbose and
> discovered that the original jpg image did not have an embedded icc profile.
> So I reran the command specifying a cmyk profile for the input file and an
> sRGB for the output file.  The result is now satisfactory and comparable on
> all operating systems.
>
> I am still a bit unclear if on non-KDE dekstops xserver will pick up any icc
> files for the monitor from ~/.local/share/color/icc and load them at start
> up all on its own, or if any additional software is necessary to achieve
> this.

Yes, I'm also unclear on this.

--
Rgds