Hello,

So looking at /etc/portage/repos.conf, it seems root.root owns these
files; shouldn't it be portage.portage? and /usr/portage

That got me thinking. Everywhere that portage operates or owns
things, should the ownership not be portage.portage
and what would the typical permissions be?

Is there a master list I can look at? Surely root not own all
these dirs, like /usr/portage/* ? My /usr/portage is root.root
and 755 on permissions, is that right?

If so, why?

In my /usr/local/portage and it's subdirs where I hack on many
ebuild, portage.portage owns everything.....?
Curious, and I cannot remember ever looking at this....

James