On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 08:29:38 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Don't be tempted to cut corners on the PSU. It's the one component in a
> computer that can "wear out" so to speak, and aged PSUs are responsible
> for more issues than anything else (except maybe dodgy RAM with a few
> dud cells).

The important difference being that dodgy RAM only damages your software
(and sanity) whereas a faulty PSU can result in damage to components that
cost orders of magnitude more than it.

> I firmly believe cutting corners with PSUs is like saving money
> by not replacing oil filters - you save some cash now, and cause
> yourself enormous expense later

I must admit to never changing the oil filters on my computer, but I
agree with your sentiments...

--
Neil Bothwick

A friend in need may turn out to be a nuisance.