Does anyone here know what dynamic deps are exactly, how they work and
can describe them?

There's lots of talk over on -dev about getting rid of them and the
closest description is from Ciaran, something like:

"ancient shit that never worked right, involving phases of the moon"

10 days ago I switched to --dynamic-deps=m in make.conf, had to emerge
-e world to get around all the resulting kde hard blocks, and all was
good till today, kio-extras was blocking plasma-workspace in impossible
ways, noticeably that the block wasn't in the ebuild at all :-)

kio-extras and dolphon were to be upgraded, plasma-workspace was not.
I've fixed it (remerge plasma-workspace to clean up cruft).

I would have thought emerge -e would have cleaned all that stuff out,
maybe it's related to removing the kde overlay.

So, my question: wtf are dynamic deps? How do I find the records they
must leave behind in portage?
--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com