Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> Patches are always more welcome than suggestions. "Fix it!" is never as
> welcome as "here's how". I think it was Canek who said "code talks".

Do you have an example for such a case?  My experience has disproved
this claim, and I've even seen people fixing stuff multiple times after
I told them it's broken and provided a perfectly working version before
telling them, much better coded, which they could have used instead of
insisting on their crappy code and trying to fix it several times.

>> and now even if you
>> came up with some pointer what to look at (since emerge, for example, is
>> a wrapper script from which I couldn't see where to start),
>
> Really? The first few lines of the script tell you where the real scripts
> are? The wrapper seems to be there to deal with different default
> Python versions.

Yes, really.  I don't know python and I can see that emerge points to
some library directory while I can not see which script would actually
run other than the wrapper.

>> I wouldn't waste my time with it.
>
> Then why on Earth would you expect the devs to do it for you with that
> attitude?

I don't believe that they let everyone modify what they're working on,
so they are the only ones who /can/ fix it.  Besides, show me where I said
something like "I want the devs to fix it".

> Adding the word "just" to a demand does not make the task any
> simpler, nor does it increase your chances of getting what you want.

Go ahead and show me where I have demanded something.

> On the contrary, it serves to illustrate that you do not grasp the
> complexity of the situation.

Perhaps you can enlighten me how it is so difficult to change a message
from "slot conflict" to "slot conflict (can probably be ignored while
there are other problems)" and what the complexity is which makes it
impossible to do so.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.