On 15 October 2015 19:04:22 CEST, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>My ISP recently started offering imap email service in addition to
>the pop3/smtp servers they've always had, so I decided to try it.
>
>I was surprised to see that they recommend using a different smtp
>server name when setting up my mail client, and they even offer the
>option of using port 587 instead of 465 if I prefer it.
>
>Why would I use a different smtp server if I'm now using imap?  I use
>smtp to send mail, and imap to read it, right?  Why not use the same
>smtp server in either case?
>
>(The different server names actually resolve to the same IP address, so
>the distinction seems to be more theoretical than real, but the theory
>is what puzzles me.)
>
>Thanks.

If it's the same IP. Then there is no difference.
Maybe they have load balancing on the 'new' hostname. Or are planning on
implementing it.

As for why to use a different SMTP server for IMAP. I have mine configured to
store a copy of all emails sent with certain 'from' addresses in a Sent-folder
for that particular email address.
They might do a similar thing.

For POP-users, this doesn't make sense.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason.

--
Joost