On 2015-11-12, <waben...@gmail.com> <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After an emerge --sync that appeared to work with no problems, my
>> "emerge -auvND world" command is reporting that the Changelong files
>> are broken for about 2/3 of the packages it wants to update:
>>
>> !!! Digest verification failed:
>> !!! /usr/portage/dev-libs/libxml2/ChangeLog
>> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
>> !!! Got: 5221
>> !!! Expected: 5038
>>
>> !!! Digest verification failed:
>> !!! /usr/portage/app-text/iso-codes/ChangeLog
>> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
>> !!! Got: 4195
>> !!! Expected: 4014
>>
>> [ ... and so on for another dozen or so packages ... ]
>>
>> I removed the emerge timestamp, sync'ed again, and got the same
>> result.  Based on past experiences, I'm guessing that if I wait a day
>> or two and sync again the problems will go away.
>>
>> But I am curious what causes these temporary breakages.  Does anybody
>> know how this happens?
>
> Try it again. I just synced and received new Manifest and Changelog
> files for every(?) package of the portage tree. But no report of bad
> digest.

Just for fun, I removed the files from the portage tree that were
reported as bad, and did another sync.  Apparently, the rsync host
that got chosen that time had just been updated, because it downloaded
313 files (I didn't pay much attention to which files exactly), and
now emerge is happy again.

I assume that the portage trees on the rsync servers from my first two
attempts were in some intermediate state with new manifist files and
old ChangeLog files or vice versa.

In the past I've wondered how portage tree updates and rsync servers
are managed so that people don't run into problems like this more
often.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is it 1974?  What's
                                  at               for SUPPER?  Can I spend