cov...@ccs.covici.com <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> I have thinmanifests=true as specified in some news item or post, I
> think this was a mandatory change some time ago using rsync.

If you really use rsync/webrsync and not git, this is unlikely:
The file containing this line (metadata/layout.conf) should be
overridden at every rsync (unless you took special measures,
but this was certainly never recommended).

> They figured the ebuilds sync anyway so no reason for the
> manifests to have them.

It is not about syncing but about security (checksums with
signatures should safe you from MITM and even compromised
servers). Thin-manifests was only meant for git, because git
already contains checksums ('though only less secure sha1,
but that's a different story), so it was decided that no
duplicate checksums are needed for git.
For *rsync* the situation is different.