On Thursday 19 Nov 2015 19:17:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Does it fail consistently? IOW, now that everything else has settled
> down, does "/etc/init.d/chrony start" still fail?

Yes, it's a hard fault:

# /etc/init.d/chronyd start
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                 [ ok ]
 * Starting chronyd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: caught an interrupt
 * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/chronyd died
 * Failed to start chronyd                                          [ !! ]
 * ERROR: chronyd failed to start

> What about logs?

None evident.

> If none, you can inspect the start-stop-daemon line in the init file,
> get the command line it launches chrony with, and see what that prints
> to the console.

Here's where it gets strange. When I run that command, chronyd runs hunky-
dory, but calling it from /etc/init.d/chronyd gets me the error above. This
is what works:

# start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/chronyd --pidfile
/run/chronyd.pid -- -f /etc/chrony/chrony.conf -s -r

And this stops it:

# start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile /run/chronyd.pid

All those file names are copied directly from the init.d file. I did wonder
about a timing problem somewhere, but I wouldn't expect that always to turn
out the same way.

As I said, chronyd works on this four-core i5 box, just not on the two-core
Atom.

--
Rgds
Peter