On Tuesday 08 Dec 2015 03:29:45 Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>
wrote:
> > That's like telling your grandma, "you don't know what DNS is? this is
> > internet 101 - you use DNS all the time".
> >
> > I have not needed to add directories to CONFIG_PROTECT, or alter it in
> > any way, in over 10 years of using Gentoo.
>
> Fair enough, neither have I.  I just meant that configruation
> protection itself is a fairly standard and well-used capability.  I
> get that somebody might not recognize the name for it or the meaning
> of the environment variable.

Actually, I recall that pre-2003/04 we used to edit the list of protected
directories.  I think that the reason at the time was that etc-update would
take too long to scan all of them, so the user was encourage to limit these
according to preference.

There may be some old threads lurking around the M/L archives on this topic.
--
Regards,
Mick