On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 08:22:22PM -0500, Alex Corkwell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:34:52AM +1000, Hans wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to fully encrypt a Gentoo system as can be done with
> > Fedora, Suse, Arch Linux, Debian and Ubunto without using a unencrypted
> > USB boot stick or unencrypted /boot partition?
> >
> > If yes, where can I find instructions that really work on a BIOS only
> > box without UEFI, EFI, systemd using EXT4 file system?
> >
> > Hans
>
> I can confirm that it's entirely possible, as I've managed to do it with
> my laptop.
> I don't remember exactly how I did everything, but here are the main
> points of my setup.
> […]

Thank you very much for this documentation. I was about to start a thread
with this topic myself because I’m in the market for a new laptop before too
soon. But Hans beat me to it.
Since I will install an after-market SSD in it, I want to encrypt
everything. With a little luck, your information is all I need. I will
practice it in a VM.

@Neil:
you seem to know your way around booting with EFI. I don’t suppose you could
add your mustard (as we say here-abouts) regarding booting an encrypted
system with an EFI bootloader. I was hoping to quicken my boot procedure
because Grub seems slow to load and I find its UI to be not very responsive.

Cheers
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

You can’t fire me, slaves must be sold.