On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:07:47 +0100, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> > You stipulate physical printing. Does that mean you want to retain th
> > ability to print to PDF or PS? If so, you would still need at least
> > Ghostscript and possibly CUPS too, although you should be able to get
> > rid of the PPD packages.

> ...my "I am no native english speaker" hit me again it seems... ;)
>
> With "physical printing" I meant the step which "put it on
> paper"...or in other words: Everything which involves the device
> "printer" (...hrrmmm...NOT anything in /dev/....the thing on the
> desktop, which has 9 needles in the past...;) 8) )
>
> For creating PDF I use either TeX and friends. Or gimp or
> similiar (Image-/Graphicsmagick).

I would think USE="-cups" would help, but some packages do have a hard
dependency on printing, which has been the subject of rants on this list
in the past.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Of course, I could switch back to Windows. At least there, if I have a
problem, I don't suffer under the illusion that I could ever fix it." -