On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 23:55:27 +0100, lee wrote:

> > Firstly, things like Flash and Skype are not special cases, they are
> > widely used and many of us have to use them, whether we like it or
> > not.
>
> They are special cases.  Flash never really worked, and when it does,
> it's pretty much unusable because it's too crappy.  Skype only kinda
> works and is not usable due to total lack of privacy.

You can call those and other binary-only programs special cases as much
as you like, and maybe they are for you. But for many people there is no
real choice but to use them.

> > Secondly, no one is forcing you to use anything? There is a
> > no-multilib profile,
>
> There doesn't seem to be a desktop profile that isn't multilib.

Probably for the reasons I've already suggested, but you don't have to
use a desktop profile.

> > and nothing to stop you creating a no-multilib version of your
> > preferred desktop profile if you so wish (the desktop profiles are
> > basically a different set of default USE flags).
>
> I wouldn't know how to do that.

emerge --info with the desktop profile to get a list of USE flags, then
set those same flags on the no-multilib profile. What's so hard?

> In any case, the default is simply wrong.

Of course it is, it's a default, it can't be right for everyone. That's
why it is a default starting point, not an enforced setting. If you don't
want to move away from the defaults, what are you using Gentoo?

> > Multilib should be going away on due time. Until then you have two
> > courses of action: complain about it or use a no-multilib profile
> > with your preferred flags. Only one of those choices has any real
> > benefit.
>
> There is no non-multilib profile one could use when they want a desktop
> profile.  Perhaps multilib goes away in 20 years or so, or never.  That
> doesn't help.

However long it takes, the timescale will not be altered by one second by
any amount of complaining in here.

--
Neil Bothwick

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.