> > I would
> > need to be able to rsync to the laptop and I'd rather not be involved
> > in the remote employee's router config.  Is there an easier solution
> > for that than OpenVPN?
>
> There is ZeroTier as a replacement for OpenVPN, and Syncthing for
> syncing. Both are P2P solutions and you can run your own discovery
> servers if you don't want any traffic going through a 3rd party (although
> they don't send data through the servers).
>
> I've no idea whether that would meet your security criteria but it
> certainly fulfils the "easier than OpenVPN" one. It will take only a few
> minutes to install and setup using the public servers, although, as I
> said, your network is never public, so you can check whether they do what
> you want. Then you can look at hosting your own server for security.
>
> https://www.zerotier.com/
> https://syncthing.net/

Zerotier looks especially interesting.  Can I have machine A listen for
Zerotier connections, have machine B connect to machine A via Zerotier,
have machine C connect to machine A via Zerotier, and rsync push from B to
C?

Does connecting two machines via Zerotier involve any security
considerations besides those involved when connecting those machines to the
internet?  In other words, is it a simple network connection or are other
privelages involved with that connection?

Can I somehow require the Zerotier connection between machines A and C in
order for C to pass HTTP basic authentication on my web server which
resides elsewhere?  Maybe I can route all traffic from machine C to my web
server through C's Zerotier connection to A and lock down basic
authentication on my web server to machine A?

- Grant