> > Zerotier looks especially interesting.  Can I have machine A listen for
> > Zerotier connections, have machine B connect to machine A via Zerotier,
> > have machine C connect to machine A via Zerotier, and rsync push from B
> > to C?
>
> You set up a network and the machines all connect to that network, so A,
> B and C can all talk to each other.
>
> > Does connecting two machines via Zerotier involve any security
> > considerations besides those involved when connecting those machines to
> > the internet?  In other words, is it a simple network connection or are
> > other privelages involved with that connection?
>
> Connections are encrypted, handled by the ZeroTier protocols, but
> otherwise it behaves like a normal network connection.
>
> > Can I somehow require the Zerotier connection between machines A and C
> > in order for C to pass HTTP basic authentication on my web server which
> > resides elsewhere?  Maybe I can route all traffic from machine C to my
> > web server through C's Zerotier connection to A and lock down basic
> > authentication on my web server to machine A?
>
> Your ZeroTier connections are on a separate network, you pick an address
> block when you set up the network but that network is only accessible to
> other machines connected to your ZeroTier network. You can have ZT
> allocate addresses within that block, it's not dynamic addressing because
> one a client is given an address, it always gets the same address, or you
> can specify the address for each client. So you can include an address
> requirement in your .htaccess to ensure connections are only allowed from
> your ZT network.

The answer to this may be an obvious "yes" but I've never done it so I'm
not sure.  Can I route requests from machine C through machine A only for
my domain name, and not involve A for C's other internet requests?  If so,
where is that configured?

BTW, how did you find ZT?  Pity there's no ebuild yet.

- Grant