On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 8:57 PM, »Q« <boxc...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I too often forget to use sudo along with emerge --ask, which gets me
> a prompt to add --pretend to the options, e.g.
>
> $ emerge -a firefox
> This action requires superuser access...
> Would you like to add --pretend to options? [Yes/No] n
> $ doh
> Password:

> Calculating dependencies /... done!
>
> ( 'doh' is an alias for 'sudo $(history -p \!\!)'  )
>
> I never want to add --pretend to the options;  if I've used --ask,
> I also meant to use sudo.  I've looked through the documentation and
> couldn't find a way to stop emerge from prompting me about --pretend,
> so now I'm asking you if I've overlooked a way.

Yes, the 'Would you like to add --pretend to options?' query does seem
to be hard-coded. See below.
portage-2.2.26/pym/_emerge/actions.py:2976,3004
# check if root user is the current user for the actions where emerge needs this
uq = UserQuery(emerge_config.opts)
if uq.query("Would you like to add --pretend to options?",
    "--ask-enter-invalid" in emerge_config.opts) == "No":

I wonder if running the command line in the debug mode, 'emerge -ad
firefox', would reveal anything of interest.