160417 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. April 2016, 03:30:15 schrieb Philip Webb:
>> So another question arises :
>> has it always been necessary to add the user to the video group
> no it hasn't in the past, but with 3d acceleration creeping in everywhere.

The puzzle for me is that I can see no mention of it in my notes :
my user is in the video group in my previous machine,
but I'm quite sure I didn't add it there, so it must have been the default.
Somehow, it wasn't added when I set up my present machine Oct 2015
(or something overwrote it, but what ? ).  My memory is
that Xscreensaver showed the 3D modules at that time,
but that they disappeared in early Dec 2015 , around which time
I remerged Xscreensaver & also updated Xorg-server + friends.

>> If the latter, how are users supposed to know re such matters ?
> I was wondering for quite some time why sddm only showed a black screen,
> until I realized that the sddm user needs to be in video group too.
> tl;dr - happened to me too and a solution or at least
> some big error / warning would be nice.  Thinking about it.

Whyever would the default be to add 'root' to 'video', but not 'user' ?
-- one would expect it to be the other way round.
In fact, why would root ever need to use 3D for anything ?
-- root sb able to do all its stuff in a raw terminal without X.

Thanks again for solving both my problems so elegantly (smile).
It confirms by general belief that in Gentoo, problems are skin-deep :
find out where they are -- the difficult bit sometimes --
& then it's very easy to fix them.

PS what does 'tl;dr' mean ? -- I've seen it in other msgs.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca