On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:01 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> After copying the current ".config" to the newly linked sources
> (/usr/src/linux) I use to run 'make oldconfig'. Now, looking at
> the gentoo wiki [1] I see (2) choices but no 'make oldconfig'::
>
> 1) #make silentoldconfig
>
> 2) #make olddefconfig
>
> 3) #make oldconfig
>
> (3) still seems to work. (2) uses defaults so I do not want that, but
> what about (1)? What's the difference between (1) and (3) ? Where do
> I read about them of find the sources?
>
> I did notice after running (3) and then 'make && make modules install'
> the slilentoldconfig script was ran (it flashed by quickly)::
>
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig

olddefconfig uses defaults for new symbols but oldconfig for "old"
symbols. It's the same as 'yes "" | make oldconfig'.

>From "make help", silentoldconfig="Same as oldconfig, but quietly,
additionally update deps". But there's so much screen output when you
run them that I don't think that you can spot the difference (I
couldn't when I tried a few years ago; and IIRC 'yes "" | make
silentoldconfig' fails - I can't remember why).