On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 5:01 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After copying the current ".config" to the newly linked sources
> (/usr/src/linux) I use to run 'make oldconfig'. Now, looking at
> the gentoo wiki [1]  I see (2) choices but no 'make oldconfig'::
>
> 1) #make silentoldconfig
>
> 2) #make olddefconfig
>
> 3) #make oldconfig
>
> (3) still seems to work. (2) uses defaults so I do not want that, but
> what about (1)? What's the difference between (1) and (3) ? Where do
> I read about them of find the sources?
>
> I did notice after running (3) and then 'make && make modules install'
> the slilentoldconfig script was ran (it flashed by quickly)::
>
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
>
> Evidently, I'm a step behind kernel building semantics....
>
> curiously,
> James
>

> [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade

Although not specific to the question asked, but just an observation I
have made, when using 'make oldconfig', copying the current '.config'
to the directory containing the sources for the new kernel is not
required, provided 'make install' was used to install the previous
kernel, which would have put the config file into the boot directory.
'make oldconfig' uses the config file for the old kernel found in the
'/boot' directory to generate a new '.config' file.