On Mon, 30 May 2016 20:48:46 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Have you read the emerge and portage man pages anytime in the last
> > five years?
>
> I tried to extract useful information from the emerge manpage a few days
> ago but it contained no useful information, manpages are written in
> moonspeak anyway.

Man pages are reference documents for those that already have a basic
understanding of the software. They document the various command options.
They are not tutorials, the handbook does a good enough job of that.

> I thought portage was just the file database,

You though wrong, that's the portage tree. Portage is the package
manager, it's the software installed by sys-apps/portage

> I tried to find an on-line wiki about
> emerge because that's how shit is documented in the 21st century but
> couldn't.

Man pages are written by the developers of the software, and the versions
installed match the software version - they should be considered
authoritative. The same cannot be said of a random wiki page that any
idiot can write or edit.

> I wish I could remember where I got the documentation I needed
> to configure the features list I'm using, it's been ages since I've
> messed with it...

You've already been told the answer to that...

--
Neil Bothwick

"Most problems go away if you just wait long enough. It might look like
I'm standing motionless but I'm actively waiting for our problems to go
away. I don't know why this works but it does."
Scott Adams, Dilbert comic